Sunday, September 13, 2009

Week 3 - Thing 5

I have never used Flickr, but I have used other similar photo sharing sites, most specifically Shutterfly. I have heard how Flickr can be beneficial to teachers and librarians, and after fully exploring the site and creating an account, I have an even greater knowledge of this. I liked exploring the map feature that allows the user to search for any location in the world and find photos that were taken there. I looked for places like Machu Picchu, Easter Island, Myrtle Beach, and Florida. I have always wanted to see Machu Picchu and Easter Island, so it was really neat to see the pictures. As for Myrtle Beach and Florida, these are my two major vacation places, so it was great to see what other people like to do.

I think the tagging feature is what really makes this site useful. When others place tags on their photos, it makes it extremely easy to search for pictures that can be useful for the learning environment. Teachers can use this site for geography, science, social studies, and much more. I am definitely going to take some time to explore this site in more detail. The groups section is useful also because it allows a group of people to collect images centered around a common theme or topic. Libraries and classrooms can create groups with others to share educational photos.

As for the exercise... I did create an account of Flickr, bur since I was not at my school's library this weekend, I could not take a photo while I was there. Instead I chose to find a unique picture that I wanted to share with all of you. This is a picture of downtown Pittsburgh at night... It looks beautiful! I chose to share this because it is where I live and it seemed like a pretty picture!

1 comment:

  1. excellent point about the value of tags for application of Flickr; sounds like you found some good mashup tools too

    ReplyDelete