Sunday, September 20, 2009

Week 4 - Thing 8

I don't have much experience when it comes to RSS feeds. I tried to subscribe once to a Young Adult book site called YAReads. I pressed the orange RSS button and it was added to the area where my favorites were. It was OK, but I didn't see why it was so great. Then I watched the video about RSS feeds and realized that this could be much more useful if I had a RSS reader. I decided to sign up for the Google reader and everything started to make a lot more sense! I added a few sites that I was interested in from the 100 library blogs and some other sites I frequent. The site also automatically added the blogs I was following on blogger. Now I get why people find this tool so useful. Now I won't have to log on to each site and blog to see what changes have been made; they will all show up in my reader!

Librarians and teachers can get a lot of use out of a RSS feed reader. Teachers and librarians can subscribe to education related sites to receive constant updates on news, technology, lessons, and more. Also, librarians can use this as a marketing tool. When patrons subscribe to a library's feed, the library can advertise events and resources to reach out to patrons. I am definitely interested in learning more about these feeds and I will be sure to use my reader to subscribe to my favorite sites!

1 comment: