Sunday, October 4, 2009

Week 6 - Thing 14

When I first read about Technorati, I did not really see why it would be useful. Since I have not previously used blogs as a primary form of communication or expression, I could not understand why others would want to search blogs. However, after starting a blog and looking at my classmates blogs, I have realized that blogs can contain valuable information that could be useful in my professional. career. Technorati is a tool that can help distinguish between personal blogs and blogs related to topics that could be of use. I used the advance search options to locate information by blog, by tag, and by blog content. It was interesting to see what results came up for each one. It was also interesting to look at some of the most popular blogs and popular search terms. I experimented by trying some of my own tags to see what popped up.

After looking at several sites that employ tagging by users, I am able to see the advantages and disadvantages to tagging. It is an easy way to enable searching by terms. The author of the post can easily assign subject terms to the post so that others who are looking for a similar topic will be able to find it. On the other hand, since there is no standard for subject terms, users may not be able to locate an item because of variations in spelling. The Shelley text did point out that even though this may be so, the user will be able to locate enough hits to find something that will serve their purposes. I think tagging is a great way to share sites with others and I am going to look into it in more depth.

No comments:

Post a Comment